As a kid I was a rabid Aussie Rules player. I loved playing footy any chance I could get.
I had dreams of playing in the local senior side and being the ‘gun’ footballer in the team. Trouble was I couldn’t kick, my handballs mostly missed the mark and I was slower than homework!
I did like tackling players – usually the opposition – so I managed to carve a place for myself in the backline. Upon going to Uni, I joined their footy club and being new I had to somehow prove myself. My coach simply said, “Son you’ve gotta do something really, really good or something really, really stupid – either way you’ve gotta stand out!”
It was a classic statement and one that stuck…and it’s still with me today.
And it stands up just as well in connecting with our clients and having our messages stick.
Here are four simple tips to help you – without having to do something really, really stupid!
1. Provide an irresistible reason for your clients to do business with you. Known as your ‘Unique Selling Proposition’ it’s a short, sharp and sweet articulation of what people can expect from the relationship
2. Be super clear on who you’re targeting. Know what their concerns are, what’s troubling them and how you can assist this
3. Write with clarity. Use a structured approach that grabs their attention, builds their interest, taps into their desire and gets them to take action
4. Have a range of options to get your message through by using the Message-Media-Market triangle
Want to delve deeper?
Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. To really get a good handle on this approach, you’ll need to invest some time and effort. I’ve literally spend 100’s of hours and 1000’s of dollars in this field. Why?
You see, back in 2003, my wife and I opened our own cafe & catering business. We soon found out that clients just don’t walk in the door! We had to work hard to find them, grab them and hold onto them. So I worked hard and invested heavily in finding out how to do this, so we wouldn’t be wasting money on our marketing and promotion campaigns.
What does this mean for you?
Good news! Because I’ll be sharing this with you in the one day workshop, ‘Effective Promotion Using What’s Already in Your Kitchen Cupboard.‘ It’s being held on Wednesday 14th May in Parramatta – to get more details and reserve your spot, register here
It’s front and centre in the 2014 Road Show of the Australasia Pacific Extension Network (APEN.) And if you’re based in either Australia or New Zealand there’ll be other workshops right nearby.
Let’s start with what this workshop is not. It’s not about being Coca-Cola, Foxtel or Apple. Not about trying to create a massive, universally known brand.
It’s actually about developing a strategy to actively engage your clients so they become your own ambassadors.
So how can all this be done in just one day? By getting focused and actively working on:
- The 30 second introduction- “if you’re at a BBQ and got introduced to a total stranger…what do you tell them about your organisation or your current project?”
- Building a really good understanding of your clients, their needs and how you can help them
- Knowing what we have to offer and why it’s valuable to the target audience
- Understanding the conversations that are going on within the target audience and how this can be tapped into
- Writing with clarity
- Identifying different ways to grab people’s attention and keep them involved
You’ll be able to walk away ready to – plan, test and review your promotions and marketing – all done cost effectively.
What else is on offer…
You’ll receive a step by step workshop booklet to help you to:
- Identify your dream client
- Understand the concerns of this client
- Articulate how you’ll meet these concerns
- Communicate using structure that grabs the client’s attention and gets them to take action
If you’re an APEN member, you’ll also receive a complimentary one hour follow-up phone consultation (valued at $330.00) to assist you in further developing your client engagement and marketing skills.
You’ll also be given access to a specialised online, secure ‘Effective Promotion’ forum. Here you can pose questions, access resources and further embed your learning in the world of effective promotion. Annual access is valued at $110.00, but of course this is being provided for free.
Workshop cost is only $220.00 for APEN members or $290.00 for non members. This includes a full workshop booklet, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. This is such outrageous value for money that it will likely become the next big election issue!
Workshop places are limited to 25 people, so put procrastination on the backburner and register now (like today) for a workshop near you. This chance only comes up once a year, so do whatever you can to get to this session!
Workshops are being held at the following locations (TBC). Some workshops may be held in regional locations.
|Parramatta||Wednesday 14th May||Confirmed|
|Launceston||Monday 30th June||TBC|
|Hamilton NZ||Friday 4th July||TBC|
|Geraldton||Monday 21st July||TBC|
|Perth/Katanning||Monday 28th July||TBC|
|Bunbury||Wednesday 30th July||TBC|
Register for the Parramatta workshop
Contact APEN to register your interest in attending any of the above workshops ASAP