After a short break enjoying sleep ins I’m ready to go in 2011. Most of us are busy in many aspects of our lives. To help me get on track in 2011 I’m setting SMART goals. I’m guessing you’ve heard of these – Specific, Measureable, Action-focused, Realisitc & Time-bound. My friend John Denton suggests they should be SMARTER – by making them Exciting and Rewarding! A good idea I believe.
The key with goal setting is to have some true quiet time to really zero in on what you want to achieve this year – otherwise it’ll be another year gone. This means the phones are off and the door is shut – wherever you happen to be. Give yourself an hour and you’ll be suprised at the results.
Another approach I’ve seen is the use of number based goals. For me a number-based goal is 10-75-1.
10 new clients
75% of time is billable
1 new book read each month
So there’s a few ideas to get you started. To recap
- Set aside time for goal setting
- Use the SMARTER formula or number-based goals
- Identify strategies (key steps) and actions (what you’ll do) each week, month & quarter to achieve them
- Set aside another 2hrs in February for a review
- Stick to this habit and record the results